The IT Personality of the Year and the ICT Leadership awards are presented by the Computer Society of South Africa (CSSA), in association with ITWeb and Gartner Africa. Now in its 28th year, the IT Personality of the Year award recognises an individual who has made an exceptional contribution to the industry in the past year.
The ICT Leadership award was introduced in 2002 for outstanding and sustainable leadership over a number of years.
The selection process for the two awards combines online public nominations and voting, with in-depth interviews by the judges.
Responding to the call for nominations issued on ITWeb, members of the IT community nominated over 60 candidates.
The judges selected a shortlist of ten, which was then opened for public voting. The judges were:
* Moira de Roche, president of the CSSA
* Roger Dawes, executive director of the CSSA
* Mthunzi Mdwaba, executive chairman of Torque-IT
* Neville Willemse, consulting manager at Gartner Africa
* Ranka Jovanovic, ITWeb editorial director
Based on the public votes, in combination with research and analysis that took into account professional achievement, leadership qualities and social responsibility involvement, the judges selected the five finalists:
* Anthony Fitzhenry, CEO, Axiz
* Viola Manuel, executive director, Cape IT Initiative
* Dr Sebiletso Mokone-Matabane, CEO, Sentech
* Hamilton Ratshefola, CEO, Cornastone Consulting
* Rob Sussman, founder, Integr8 IT
On the following pages, we meet each of them to get a broader perspective on the people, their motivations and their interest. We discover the people behind the names that make the headlines.